Monday, March 7, 2011

The Failure of the Over Plan

The old saying goes something like

...Failing to plan is planning to fail...

But, what about those of us who are perpetual planners.  We have huge dreams.  We can see what we want and can create elaborate, fantastical road maps to get ourselves to those dreams. 

And that's as far as we get.

Sometimes it's because we have spent so much time in the planning process that our start date has passed us by, which only means we must scrap the plan and start over with a new plan.

Sometimes, it's because our lives detour us from the plan and again, we scrap the plan to draft a new plan.

Sometimes, the results/changes/next step don't arrive as quickly as we planned.  This results in unfathomable amounts of frustration, which means, the plan obviously didn't work and we, yep, need a new plan.

I am Lauren and I am a perpetual planner.  I've talked about this before.  Often, it feels like my life is a Groundhog Day of New Year's Day.  New Goals.  Revised Goals.  New Plans. 

I struggle to stick with the plan.  It's why training for races is hard for me.  It's why sticking to a diet/lifestyle changes/whatever you want to call it is hard for me.  It's a huge source of stress for me. 

So, how do I change? 

Truthfully, I have no freaking idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment