Monday, September 13, 2010

Don't Drink the Kool Aid: Ironman Wisconsin

Get Fit Atlanta has an inside joke about drinking the kool aid.  Often, one person signs up for something, the kool aid goes around, and the next thing you know, "everyone" is doing it.

I'm 13 days out from my first Half Ironman.  And, today, registration opens up for Ironman Wisconsin 2011.  Get Fit Atlanta's target race for 2011.  That means a big group will be training together in the next 12 months.  A big group will head up to Wisconsin together.  A big group will share a huge accomplishment together. 

It's very easy to feel, well, left out. 

I know I'm not ready to do an Ironman.  2012 has been my target since all this craziness began.  Sure, there were a couple of times I contemplated being ready before 2012, but deep down I've known since 2007 that 2012 was the year.  There were/are too many things I needed to fix before hunkering down to train for such a huge event. 

Today, my goal is to not drink the kool aid.  To allow my friends and teammates to go ahead without me.  To accept that it's okay to be a year behind (and I'm not even the only one waiting to 2012, but you know...)  To do what's right for me.  

1 comment:

  1. Definitely not something you want to be peer pressured into when you are not ready. Im planing my next attempt in 2012. I am leaning towards IMWI and have a vacation planned for the summer in Wisconsin and if I do decide on WI, I am going to volunteer next year. I already know a few who are going to do it in 11 if they can register with all the active issues

    ReplyDelete