Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Taper Thoughts: Four Days Out

A few people have expressed some concerns about how "all over the place" I am about Augusta.  This makes me feel like I should be apologetic about my posts through taper.  My head is all over the place.  One moment I'm fine - ten moments later, I'm a little freaked out.  This is the biggest endurance event of my life, I reserve the right to have nerves.  I think all this is normal.  It's just different because I'm putting it out there.  I'm not keeping all this in my head.  I'm writing it down so I can learn from it.  So I can look back and really recollect what this week has felt like.  Maybe someone else can read this and relate.

Last night was my last run before Sunday.  An hour run, staying in Zone 1-2.   It wasn't a fast run.  I didn't take a watch.  We walked a bit (those hills in Buckhead can easily take you out of Zone 2!)  It was relaxing.   Followed that up with some pizza and enjoyed the company of my group.

Today, I'm supposed to pickup my bike.  I have a late afternoon conference call and am not sure I'm going to get out of here fast enough to pick it up.  James may need to pick it up for me.  I just hope he can remember not to lay it down on the rear derailleur in the back of his truck.  He's tried to multiple times and gives me the "Are you crazy?" eye when I hyperventilate over it.

Tonight, after the Aqua Fit class has freed up the pool, I'll swim a bit.  1000m or so.  Nothing strenuous. 
Tomorrow, I'll probably do an easy spin around the neighborhood to double check no issues from the bike tuneup.  Again, just keeping the body in motion.   


All in all, I'm fine.  The training is done.  Under-trained?  Maybe.  It's better to be 10% under-trained than 1% over-trained, right?  Mentally, I know I can finish.  It may not be pretty.  It may not set world records, but I can finish. 

I'll be proud of that, no matter what the final clock says when I come through. 

2 comments:

  1. TOTALLY normal :-) You are going to find that that which scares is also that which motivates you. You will feel bird brained as your mind flits all over the place. Then the gone goes off, and your mind will go no further than the task at hand. FOCUSED!

    None of that other stuff matters now. Not the crazy looks. Not the worries about being over trained/under trained. Not how fast, and not how pretty/ugly. All that matters is Lauren crossing that finish line with a smile.

    It will be an experience you will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have an AMAZING time! I think it's normal to be a bit all over the place. I don't know if it works the same in endurance events, but I get the same way before performances and I use all of the nervous energy and crazypants thoughts for energy during the performance. You're the awesome!

    ReplyDelete