Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My First Run

Last night started to get away from me.  James stayed at the gym longer than I anticipated, so it was a mad rush to get dinner ready before he needed to leave for our HOA Board Meeting.  Oh, and traffic was suckier than usual - so I was about 15 minutes later than my bad drive home time.  Yeah.

For dinner, I made Cilantro Lime Black Grouper, Double Garlic Kale, and grilled some zucchini and eggplant.  The grouper was okay.  The portions we bought were a little too thick and we didn't get an even cooking throughout.  The Double Garlic Kale was okay.  I should find a different recipe because even though I followed the recipe - it either had too much garlic or too much crushed red pepper, making it a little to spicy for the boys.   I let James help out by cutting up the veggies to be grilled and he cut them too thick.   They weren't very good at all.

After James left (in the middle of dinner, as he was already late), T announced that he had to have border for his Science Fair project due today.  So, we quickly finished dinner, cleaned up the kitchen, and headed off to Michaels to find border, or something like it.

By the time we got home, it was after 8.  I was starting to think, "I could just start tomorrow."  But, I already had my running gear on, shoes included, and made myself knock it out.

Five minute warm-up:  Kept pace between 4.8 and 5.0.  I was definitely already feeling the "it's been too long since I've run" burn.  Got a little concerned.

Interval 1 @ 8.3mph:   I didn't fly off the treadmill a la Biggest Loser.  I made it the whole minute.

Rest Interval @ 4.8mph:   It took almost the whole rest interval to get my breathing back under control.

Interval 2 @ 8.3mph:  Found a really good stride.  This interval was a bit easier.  Focused on keeping my core strong and breathing a little more controlled.

Rest Interval @ 4.8mph:   I had to stand on the side rails for about 15 seconds during this interval.  I was literally gasping for breath.  Remember thinking "I can't do this.  What the hell was I thinking?"

Interval 3 @ 8.3mph:   Stride was good again.   James came home during the middle of this interval and cheered me on through it.  Although he kept asking me questions, which made me want to reach over and smack him.   But, that would have taken too much energy.

Rest Interval @ 4.8mph:   Drank some water.  Answered James's questions.   Stood on the side rails about 30 seconds.

Interval 4 @ 8.3mph:   Focused on strike.  Felt fast.  Still couldn't breathe.   Started thinking - "Hey, once my cardiovascular can keep up with my legs - I got this..."

Rest Interval @ 4.8mph:   Drank a little more water.  Stood another 30 seconds or so.  Tried to consciously slow the breath.

Interval 5 @ 8.3mph:  Struggled to finish this one.  Definitely balanced on the vomit line a couple of times.  Only finished 50 seconds of the 1 minute interval.   (sigh)

Rest Interval @ 4.8mph:  Extended rest because of cutting the speed interval short.  Still feeling nauseous.   Just wanted to be done.

Interval 6 @ 8.3mph:   More nauseous running.  Finished strong, though.

Rest Interval @ 3.0mph:   Cool down.  Sweat pouring off me.  Can't remember the last time I sweated that much from a 20 minute run.  Geez.

After thoughts:   I can do this.  It may take me longer than the 9 weeks RX'd by the program, but I'm okay with that.

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to you for making it happen ... and for balancing the vomit line.

    Winks & Smiles,