Friday, February 11, 2011

A Hero's Workout

One of the things I like about CrossFit are the "Hero" Workouts.  These are workouts named after soldiers who died to protect our freedom.  I find myself working a little harder in these workouts.  Sort of like I'm offending the fallen hero by not giving a 110%.

Today, was Rankel, With A Twist.


U.S. Marine Corps Sergeant John Rankel, 23, of Speedway, IN, assigned to 3d Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, 1 Marine Expeditionary Force, based out of Camp Pendleton, CA, was killed on June 7, 2010, while supporting combat operations in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.


He is survived by mother and stepfather Don and Trisha Stockhoff; father and stepmother, Kevin and Kim Rankel; and brothers Nathan Stockhoff and Tyler Rankel.


Warm up: “Med ball medley”
Get a partner and med ball.
Stretch.

WOD: “Rankel” with a twist…
20 Min AMRAP of:
7 OH squats RX=95/63
7 Burpee pull ups
10 Wall ball shots RX= 20/14
Run 200m or row 250 m

I managed 6 Rounds.  My OH Squats were with a 33 pound bar.  I'm still perfecting form, so it's too soon to add RX weight.  I struggle to keep my heels firmly planted when I go below parallel in the bottom of the squat.  I struggle to keep the weight balanced over my head, instead of tilting to one side.  These are problems that must be addressed before I even consider adding RX to a OH Squat workout.

The good news, I can totally do jumping pull-ups.  At least 42 of them.  Hang on the bar and pull myself up on sheer strength without the assistance of a band, not yet.  But Jumping is progress.  I still hate burpees, whether or not they include a pull-up or not.  

I struggle with wall ball shots too.  14 pounds is a lot of weight, and I can't quite hit the target consistently with the 14 pound ball.  (Especially after a Warm-Up that includes a lot of med-ball work.)  I can consistently hit the target with 10 pounds.  Just gotta keep working at that.

I did suck it up and run 5/6 rounds outside today.  It was cold.  I had short sleeves on.  I flaked on the last run because I was on short-time to 20 minutes and running inside is "quicker."  Sprinted hard to the end, wanting to collapse onto the floor.  Hoo-rah.

No comments:

Post a Comment