Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Road is Paved with DOMS

Truly, I intended to get up and run this morning.  My plan was for intervals.  5 x 800m holding fastest possible pace without slowing more then 5 sec per fastest 800. 90 second recoveries, to be exact.  But, oh boy, did I hurt like a mutha when the alarm went off at 4:30 this morning.   Sadly, intervals were not in the cards for me this morning.  I did make it to the gym and walked for 30 minutes, trying to get loosened up.  It helped some, but not really enough. 

Tonight, I'm going to yoga.  I'd sworn off yoga for a while, but I've decided that it can have an important place in my overall fitness ideal.  My new ideology seems to be gravitating to "I am not an elite athlete in any sport, nor do I have the desire to invest the resources (time, money, etc.) to be an elite athlete.  Therefore, I should do things that bring me joy.  If today I want yoga, then I'm going to yoga.  If I want to go take a dance class, I'm going to take a dance class.  I want to run today, so "so what!" if it's not a 'scheduled run' day.  I'm going to go run."  

Admittedly, I don't think I want my life to always be about the next big race.  I know lots of people that live race-to-race.  Signing up for the next big race on the heels of the current race (or sometimes, before their current race arrives.)   For the last 3-4 years, I've always been signed up for something.  I don't want to live my life that way.    Sure, I want to from time to time, signup for the next big race, but I don't want to always be signed up for something. 


I want to enjoy the run.  I want to enjoy the ride.  I want to enjoy the moment.  I don't want to say "I can't" year after year because it screws with my training schedule.  That's not who I am, nor is it who I want to be. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to ease back into yoga myself. I agree about the next big race also. It can take over your life sometimes.

    ReplyDelete