Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Weigh-In, Murph, and Pose-ing

My first official weigh-in was Sunday.  Officially down 5.4lbs.  Not bad for week one.  But my leader already set me up to not expect the same results week two.  Week one was relatively seamless.  There were a few times that I struggled to figure out what to eat (the wedding on Saturday, for example.)  But, overall, I feel like I made good choices.  And no real damage done over a long weekend.  So, I'm happy overall.

Monday has been marked off on my calendar since March.  "Memorial Day Murph" was a coordinated CrossFit WOD to raise money for three charities.  Lt. Michael P. Murphy Memorial Scholarship Foundation, Lone Survivor Foundation, and Wounded Warrior Project.   It's a "Hero" workout.   Hero workouts are CF workouts named for fallen soldiers, etc.  "Murph" was Lt. Michael Murphy's favorite workout - he called it Body Armor - and it was renamed after his death.

1 mile Run
100 Pull-Ups
200 Push-Ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run.

My goal was 1 hour 30 minutes.  I'd never done this workout before, but knew it was going to be a bear.  I'd checked out other crossfitters' times and felt like 1:30, for my first time through, was an ok goal. I'd hoped to do this workout at my box, but they've scheduled Murph for this Wednesday (Jun 1.)  I could have waited to do then, but in my head, I'd committed to do this on Memorial Day and that's when it needed to happen.

So, yesterday morning, I head to the gym.  (Yes, I have a box membership and a gym membership).  Set my timer and told myself 3-2-1 GO!

I ran the first mile quicker that I normally would.  9:15.   Then, I started pull-ups, push-ups, and squats.  I opted to partition those in 10 sets of 10-20-30.  Those took about 40 minutes to complete.  Then back to the treadmill.   The last mile was brutal.   Hey Triathletes:  You do not need to ride a bike for 3+ hours to do a brick run off.  300 Squats'll do it to you.   My legs were like lead.  The first minute, walking upright was a challenge.  I finally got myself to running intervals.  And finished up at a 9:03 clip.

Final time:  1:03:46*  (*Pull-ups were weight assisted & I did not add a 20 pound weight vest as recommended.)  I wish I could say I'm not sore today, but I am. 

I'm now looking forward to Wednesday.   That's my first Pose technique run class.  I'm super excited to learn how to run (with less energy expenditure).  

Happy Tuesday!

1 comment: