- My cousin, Katie, who was born with Spina Bifida some 28 years ago, is now on the kidney transplant list. She's home, but on oxygen.
- My childhood best friend, LeAnn, is getting remarried in two months. I'm excited for her, even though we don't talk nearly as much as we used to. That could be because neither of us has time to sit on the phone for up to 8 hours at a time - and we used to do that daily!
- In 11 days, James and I will have been married eight years.
- In 14 days, James will be 35 years old.
- The closeness of anniversary and birthday for him always leads to gift buying stress for me. One big gift, two medium gifts, or several little gifts. Oh the agony.
- I started a new job in June. I like it, but it's very weird for me to be the least knowledgeable person in a department. I like to have a clue.
- Trivial Pursuit is my favorite board game. No one in my house plays with me. They say my liberal arts degree (sociology) gives me an unfair advantage because of all the useless knowledge floating around in my head.
- I'm a sucker for The Biggest Loser, and even followed Jillian to "Losing it with Jillian."
- I gravitate toward vampire shows. True Blood, Vampire Diaries, Moonlight, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Dark Shadows. Oddly enough, I've never seen one episode of The Gates. The commercial fascination with the vampire fascinates me. If I ever got a masters in sociology, I would probably delve my thesis deep into this subject matter. Not that I'm ever getting a masters in Sociology, because I already get enough of "what the hell are you going to do with that degree?" question. Maybe if I won the lottery.
- Speaking of winning the lottery, I've never played anything other than a scatch off ticket. I've never bought a scratch off ticket either. The only scratch off tickets that I have played were given as part of gifts.
- The University of Georgia is the only school I applied to for college.
- J.B. will be eligible to take his driving test in March. He waited almost a month after turning 15 to get his learner's permit, so can't get his license until March. Oddly enough, he will be one of the first of his 'friends' to get his license, even though several of them are much older than him. This fascinates me because I remember being very excited about getting my license. I got mine on my 16th birthday.
- I'm very excited that my new phone has a Kindle app built-in. I was leaning towards asking for one for Christmas, now I don't have to. I downloaded a free book last night (Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau,) to see if I would like reading a book on my phone and I do!
- Although I tend to vote Republican in major elections, I align myself more Libertarian. I tend to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal. I dislike big government. I dislike unequal rights. I really dislike when bill writers muddy the waters of bills by mixing issues. No fair to hide pork barrel spending in with a civil rights issue. I don't like to have to choose between the two.
- I grew up in rural Georgia, south of Augusta, north of Savannah. For most of my childhood, the closest Walmart was 30 miles away. Now, I live less than one mile to Walmart and there are six (that I can count off the top of my head) within a 30 mile radius of my house. The first Walmart I can remember was IN the Statesboro Mall.
- I didn't eat peanut butter on a regular basis until I was 32. It is still not really on my radar for viable food options.
- Pizza is my favorite food.
- I drink an insane amount of Diet Coke. I prefer Cherry Coke Zero though.
- And last, but not least, and this is the closest I'm getting to anything about training today. Some of my closest friends almost don't recognize me in regular clothes. It's truly amazing what a training group brings to your life. Even if you rarely socialize in regular clothes (instead of hot/sweaty/post workout attire), they become some of the most important people in your life very quickly!
Friday, September 17, 2010
Taper Thoughts: Nine Days Out
Today is going to be an Iron Free Zone. No talk about triathlon, training, nutrition, just some rambling thoughts, updates of other things going on in my life, and useless information about myself.